Oud Leuven: #56 Waag

Oud Leuven: #56 Waag

  • Name in 1649:

    Waeghe

  • Other names:

    Waag, Poids publics

  • Current name:

    -

  • SHARE:

ABOUT

Leuven, like many trading centres across the Low Countries, used to have a public weighing house, or a ‘weighhouse’ called ‘waag’. This allows the city administration to control the weighing of goods, to ensure a fair levying of taxes on goods. Leuven’s Waag was located on the Zeelstraat, at the exit to the Oude Markt.

Origin

It is not known when the Waag was built, but it certainly existed in the 13th century, when the new Korenhuis was erected on the same street in 1255. According to the city’s records, which stated in 1256:

Domus Bladi de Lovanio sita in Brevi platea, in opposito DOMUS SEGETUM
“Leuven’s Corn House is located in a short street, opposite the Weighhouse”

According to archaeologists, when the current Lakenhal was built in 1317, it was linked by a vaulted passage to the old 12th century cloth hall or to the Office of the Weavers in the courtyard at the back. Further from the old Lakenhal – which could be at the current Number 1 Zeelstraat with the sign ‘Koöperatief der oud strijders’, was the Korenhuis at the end of the street. Opposite the Korenhuis was the Waag.

What's so special about this place?

The Place of Witch Hunts

Although it is not known whether this was the case in Leuven, in the 16th century, suspected witches were brought to the weighing houses to undergo the ‘witch test’.

If you are lighter than your presumed weight, then you are a witch, which meant that you would be burnt alive. The Waag was not a happy place for many, to be sure.

 

The standardisation of weights

By 1800, weighing houses were not in use anymore, as international standards of weights were by then very well-established. City records show that even by the mid-18th century, both the Waag and the Korenhuis had become private properties.

Current situation

It is not known when the building of the Waag was torn down. But the German bombardment of Leuven that led to the Great Fire on 22-24 August 1914 completely destroyed the Zeelstraat and the whole of the Oude Markt. This means that not even the foundations of the Waag could be found.

 

Sources:

https://www.geneanet.org/cartes-postales/view/7729136#0 (image)
https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/themas/15124
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waag
Louvain monumental ou Description historique et artistique de tous les édifices civils et religieux de la dite ville, by Edward van Even, 1860

HOW IT LOOKS LIKE TODAY

Click on the zoom icon to view the full size.

  • SHARE:

Oud Leuven: #22 Sint-Monicaklooster The Sint-Monicaklooster - Convent of St Monica - was a forgotten convent in Leuven founded by English sisters, fleeing Anglican persecution in their home country. Today, its location is on the Kapucijnenvoer opposite Biezenstraat, all the way from the former Sint-Rafaëlziekenhuis and the co-housing project BotaniCo up until opposite the entrance of the Kruidtuin,... Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Pauscollege Oud Leuven: #36 Pauscollege The Pauscollege is located on today's Hogeschoolplein, opposite the park. It is one of the world's oldest university colleges. Oud Leuven: #24 Klooster van de Geschoeide Karmelieten The cartographer misnamed the spot #24 as the Clarissen Regulier klooster (Clarissenklooster). It was in fact the Monastery of the Carmelites (Klooster van de Geschoeide Karmelieten). Oud Leuven: #32 College van S'Hertogenbos The College van S'Hertogenbos, from 1604-1797, was located not so much on the Tiensestraat as indicated on the map, but more on the modern-day Herbert Hooverplein (half of which was called the Grain Market (Graanmarkt) which was an extension of the Nieuwstraat to reach the old citygate of Sint-Michielspoort. Oud Leuven: #43 Irish College Leuven Located on the highest point of the inner city of Leuven, the Van Dalecollege along the Naamsestraat is one of the best preserved old college from the former University of Leuven and the most charming yet quiet spot in the city. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Hollands College Oud Leuven: #40 Hollands College Located on the square called Pater Damiaanplein, Hollands College is one of the best preserved colleges of the former University of Leuven. Much of the interior was never dismantled or destroyed during the French occupation, with many of its rooms dating back to the 18th century. Oud Leuven: #34 College van Luik The College van Luik (Liège College) was a college of the old University of Leuven specialised in theology, for priest-students from the Bishopdom of Liège. Located on the Muntstraat directly opposite the s Meiersstraat, the College van Luik existed from 1605 to 1806. Oud Leuven: #39 Standonckcollege On today's Hogeschoolplein, opposite the still-existing Pauscollege was the site of the former Standonckcollege and its closely associated Pedagogie Het Varken. Oud Leuven: #12 Het Groot Begijnhof The "Groot Begijnhof" is a "town-within-the-town" in the south of Leuven, on two arms of the River Dijle. Founded in the 13th century, this enclosed living quarters served religious women who lived in piety and chastity. The Groot Begijnhof is one of the best preserved, the largest and the most beautiful in the Low... Oud Leuven: #31 College van Savoye The College van Savoye (Savoy College) is located at Number 6 Savoyestraat and it existed from 1551 to 1797. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Pedagogie Het Varken Hogeschoolplein Oud Leuven: #35 Pedagogie Het Varken The "Pedagogie Het Varken" existed from 1428 to 1797. It was located on today's Hogeschoolplein. Oud Leuven: #17 Priorij van de Heilige Ursula en de 11.000 Maagden Where the Bruulpark now stands in Leuven, there used to be a huge convent in the Middle Ages called the "Priorij van de Heilige Ursula en de 11.000 Maagden" (the Priory of Saint Ursula and 11,000 virgins). The whole area is today enclosed by Halvestraat, Pereboomstraat, Het Torentje and Brouwersstraat. Oud Leuven: #52 Tafelrond Located on the Grote Markt of Leuven, perpendicular to its world-renowned Late Gothic City Hall "Het Stadhuis", is this neo-gothic jewel called "Tafelrond". You must have guessed right, it was named after King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Minderbroedersklooster, KU Leuven Research & Development Oud Leuven: #8 Minderbroedersklooster From the 13th century to 18th century, the corner between present-day Waaistraat and Minderbroederstraat stood the Minderbroederklooster (Monastery of the Friars Minor), for which the street is named. Oud Leuven: #58 Maria-Theresia- en Veteranencollege The former 'Meiershuis' (Mayor's House) was located on the site of the current Maria-Theresia- en Veteranencollege on the Sint-Michielsstraat.
  • Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *