Oud Leuven: #66 Verloren Kosttoren

Oud Leuven: #66 Verloren Kosttoren

  • Name in 1649:

    Verlooren Cost

  • Other names:

    Grote Toren, Impensa perdita, Dépense-perdue

  • Current name:

    Verloren Kosttoren

  • SHARE:

ABOUT

The ‘Verloren Kosttoren’ (Tower of Lost Cost) is one of the three surviving fragments of Leuven’s second city wall. Once the defensive lookout post of Leuven and one of its highest points, the Verloren Kosttoren was a prominent landmark featured in every major painting of the city. Today, neglected by the authorities and covered by overgrown trees and hedges, this invaluable historical gem that is located on the Mechelsevest, just outside the Wijnpers secondary school, hardly attracts the interest of passers-by.

Origin

Not Part of Leuven’s Outer City Walls

The Verloren Kosttoren was not called by that name officially. Its original name was simply the ‘Grote Toren‘ (The Great Tower). Built in 1463 (?), the Grote Toren came after the rest of the 14th century outer city walls. Contrary to the suggestion by 16th century historian Willem Boonen in his ‘Geschiedenis van Leuven‘ (History of Leuven) – written in 1593-1594, published in 1880 – that the Grote Toren was part of the plans laid for the outer city walls, archaeological evidence shows that building style originates later from the first quarter of the 15th century. It was in the 1460s, that the Grote Toren received its first touch-ups, under the supervision of Leuven’s renowned architect Mathieu de Layens (who also designed the Stadhuis city hall).

By the middle of the 14th century, Leuven began to lose its political and economic status as the capital of Brabant. Both Brussels and Antwerp began to grow richer and more powerful. Poverty began to spread throughout the city, with less and less income from its weaving trade (see Lakenhalle) and wine production (see Wijnberg). After the Brabant Succession War in 1355, Leuven dug deep into its pockets to build the 7km-long outer (second) city walls, which were completed in 1360. With its eight new modern city gates, Leuven could essentially shut itself off from invaders.

From the surviving drawings and surviving descriptions, we know that the Grote Toren was about 50m tall, and stood on a raised circular foundation. It had a ground floor and two floors above, connected by a narrow, spiral staircase. At the top was a ‘lantern, and this structure can clearly be seen in the 1649 map and all other depictions of the building.

In the geopolitical context of 15th century in the Low Countries, the construction of this Great Tower was very much a political statement of Leuven to reassert itself.

A Complete Waste of Money

However, contrary to the authorities’ aspirations for the Great Tower, the inhabitants of Leuven thought it was a complete waste of money and decided to call it ‘Impensa perdita‘ or ‘Verloren Cost‘ (Lost Cost).

To build the Verloren Kosttoren, other more urgent constructions had to be postponed. Additionally, the relatively peaceful decades compared to the previous century meant that the military purpose of the watch tower was never served and the money to pay for the expensive construction could be better used elsewhere.

The Fall of the Verloren Kosttoren

While not built on the highest point of Leuven, the Verloren Kosttoren was certainly the highest point of the outer city walls. During the Siege of Leuven in 1635, the Verloren Kosttoren was therefore a target of the French-Dutch troops. The tower came out of this battle badly damaged. After the top lantern was blown off in a storm in 1674, the building was sold and partly demolished. The remains would still serve as housing for sick soldiers, prison for prisoners of war, and the storage of gun powder. By 1750, the Verloren Kosttoren was completely abandoned, and the final demolition took place in 1787.

But all was not lost. Considering that the Verloren Kosttoren was never part of the original plan of the outer city walls, it became embedded in it. So the substructure of the Verloren Kosttoren was partly exposed again during the leveling works in the First World War.

What's so special about this place?

The Images of the Verloren Kosttoren

The Verloren Kosttoren was such a prominent landmark of Leuven, that it was featured in every engraving, drawing or painting of any panoramic view of Leuven. I have listed a few below, and you can see them in the image gallery further down the page:

  • 1400s: Engraving, ‘De Verloren Kost in Leuven
  • 1604: ‘Lovanium‘ by Joost van der Barens (repurposed by Edward van Even into ‘Vue de Louvain en 1604‘)
  • 1610: ‘Theatrum Urbium‘ by Abraham Saur
  • 1639: ‘The Relief of Leuven‘ by Peter Snayers
  • 1708: ‘Gezicht op Leuven‘ by Harrewijn
  • 1778: ‘Keizersberg‘ by Jean-Baptiste de Jonghe

You can see the evolution of the Verloren Kosttoren as it descends into disuse.

Not the Heksentoren – The Witch Tower

The Verloren Kosttoren is often called the Heksentoren‘ (The Witch Tower) nowadays, by netizens and even by the city administration itself. This is clearly a mistake. The real Heksentoren does exist and according to the ‘Vrienden van Het Leuvens Stadsarchief‘, this was explicitly stated by 19th-century historian Edward van Even to be ’90 steps’ from the Brusselsepoort and more or less directly opposite the Kaboutermansstraat. This means that the real Heksentoren is in fact not far from a panoramic spot called the ‘Luibank‘.

Another Verloren Kost

To add to the confusion, a street far from the Verloren Kosttoren is called – you guessed it, ‘Verloren Kost‘. This street is a new side-street east of the Donkerstraat, and has absolutely nothing to do with the tower. It is not clear to me why this street was named after a landmark a few hundred metres away.

Current situation

The Verloren Kosttoren – the Leuven’s once Great Watch Tower of Lost Cost – is lost indeed, to the oblivion of time. While inhabitants have been calling for the authorities to act on preserving this once imposing landmark of the city, the remains are now shamefully covered and being destroyed by overgrown bushes and trees.

What you see today is in fact remnants of the circular base of the watch tower, not even the tower itself. You can thus imagine how impressive it must have appeared in the 15th century.

You can still get a glimpse of the Verloren Kosttoren ruins when you take the footpath to the bus-stop along the ring road. Do not go onto the ruins as the 600-year-old brick structure is extremely fragile.

 

Sources:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verloren_Kosttoren
https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/erfgoedobjecten/200697
https://pdfslide.net/documents/salsadoc-2014-nr-4.html
https://leuven.weleer.be/mechelsevest/1018
https://leuvenmaakhetmee.be/en/ideas/verloren-kost-toren
https://www.europeana.eu/nl/item/2023006/24062A51_priref_762 (Engraving, 1400-1499)
https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/2023006/24062A51_priref_687 (Drawing by Joost van der Barens, 1605)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Theatrum_Vrbium_00149_Leuven.jpg (Abraham Saur: Theatrum Urbium, 1610)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Peter_Snayers_-_The_Relief_of_Louvain.jpg (Peter Snayers ‘Relief of Leuven’, 1639)
https://www.oudelandkaarten.nl/europa/item/gezicht-op-leuven-1708-harrewijn (Engraving by Harrewijn, 1708)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Keizersberg,_Leuven.PNG (Jean-Baptiste de Jonghe, 1778)
https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/2058628/KF_objecten_1512484634259_1785793575 (Mechelsevest (ca 1950) – de families Kerkhofs en Wenderickx op wandel bij de Verloren Kosttoren)
http://www.kikirpa.be/ (Photo ©KIK-IRPA, 1960)
https://www.facebook.com/weleer.be/photos/de-verloren-kosttoren-heksentoren-aan-de-mechelsevest-begin-jaren-70-nog-geen-ri/493885734067531/(Photo © Willy Vounckx, 1970)
https://www.facebook.com/weleer.be/photos/a.212084355581005/343413185781454 (Photo, 2000)

HOW IT LOOKS LIKE TODAY

Click on the zoom icon to view the full size.

  • SHARE:

Oud Leuven: #71 Parkpoort Located between the Tiensepoort and the Naamsepoort, the Parkpoort is one of the highest points of the ring road of Leuven that surrounds the city. During the Middle Ages, the defensive walls that linked these three city gates must have looked really high and impressive. Today, the Parkpoort is a road junction like all the... Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Koningscollege Oud Leuven: #41 Koningscollege The King's College (Koningscollege) is located along the Naamsestraat at the corner of the Charles de Bériotstraat in Leuven. Today, the Koningscollege houses the Zoological Institute (Zoölogisch Instituut) of the KU Leuven. Read about its rise as a Royal College of the Spanish King. Oud Leuven: #57 Berg van Barmhartigheid The Mons Pietatis (Mount of Piety) was located in the corner between the Vaartstraat and the Lombaardenstraat in Leuven. In medieval Europe, the Mons Pietatis was the only form of loan available to citizens. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Augustijnenklooster Oud Leuven: #10 Augustijnenklooster The former Augustijnenklooster (Augustinian Monastery) occupied a huge space. It is enclosed by the current-day Vissersstraat, Vismarkt, Karel van Lotharingenstraat and Vaartstraat. Harold Tor - Oud-Leuven-7-Predikherenkerk Oud Leuven: #7 Predikherenkerk The Predikherenkerk, short for “Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-ten-Predikherenkerk”, is located not far from the Brusselsestraat. Hidden at the end of a beautiful medieval alleyway now called the Predikherenstraat, you will find this oldest Gothic church in Leuven and one of the earliest Gothic churches in Belgium. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Hollands College Oud Leuven: #40 Hollands College Located on the square called Pater Damiaanplein, Hollands College is one of the best preserved colleges of the former University of Leuven. Much of the interior was never dismantled or destroyed during the French occupation, with many of its rooms dating back to the 18th century. Oud Leuven: #45 Sint-Antoniuskapel The Sint-Antoniuskapel is located on the current-day Pater Damiaanplein, at the foot of the Ramberg hill at the meeting point of the two streets - Ramberg and Sint-Antoniusberg. The chapel is also the mausoleum and pilgrimage site of the world-famous Belgian priest, Pater Damiaan. Oud Leuven: #51 Stadhuis Leuven's historic City Hall - Stadhuis - is one of the most beautiful buildings in Brabant Late Gothic style in Belgium. Located on the Grote Markt (the Great Market), this architectural jewel was enclosed by the Naamsestraat, the Muntstraat and the Boekhandelstraat, with an inner courtyard called Vrijthof. Oud Leuven: #66 Verloren Kosttoren The 'Verloren Kosttoren' (Tower of Lost Cost) is one of the three surviving fragments of Leuven's second city wall. Once the defensive lookout post of Leuven and one of its highest points, the Verloren Kosttoren was a prominent landmark featured in every major painting of the city. Today, neglected by the authorities and covered by... Oud Leuven: #43 Irish College Leuven Located on the highest point of the inner city of Leuven, the Van Dalecollege along the Naamsestraat is one of the best preserved old college from the former University of Leuven and the most charming yet quiet spot in the city. Oud Leuven: #31 College van Savoye The College van Savoye (Savoy College) is located at Number 6 Savoyestraat and it existed from 1551 to 1797. Harold Tor - Oud Leuven: Pedagogie Het Varken Hogeschoolplein Oud Leuven: #35 Pedagogie Het Varken The "Pedagogie Het Varken" existed from 1428 to 1797. It was located on today's Hogeschoolplein. Oud Leuven: #55 Korenhuis Leuven's 13th-century Korenhuis (Corn House) was located in the modern-day Zeelstraat. Oud Leuven: #60 Oude Markt Located between the Naamsestraat and the Parijsstraat, Leuven's "Oude Markt" (Old Market) has been the heart of the city's economic activities since the 12th century. The large rectangular square that measures 174 metres long by 35 metres wide, holds the title of "the longest bar in the world". Oud Leuven: #65 De Wijnpers On the 1649 map of Leuven in the Atlas van Loon, two areas were marked as Number 65 - Wijnberg (Wineberg). The correct one is the secondary school and agricultural school known as 'De Wijnpers' (the wine press), bordered by the Mechelsevest, the Donkerstraat and the Wijnpersstraat. The hill is the only remnant of Leuven's...
  • Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *